Heather McFarlane, Attorney, Mediator
Heather’s passion as a litigator has always been the search for creative solutions to disputes. In 1998, Heather began her practice at a large law firm, where she represented businesses in their complex commercial litigation (including first-party insurance coverage, intellectual property, business torts, corporate dissolutions, and personal injury cases). During that time, she was able to try a number of cases to verdict.
In 2010, she opened her own boutique law firm, and became a professionally-trained mediator. She broadened her practice by representing individuals and companies. She has represented both plaintiffs and defendants, and understands how both sides of a case evaluate the value of their case. Since 2010, she has also mediated hundreds of civil disputes including personal injury, labor and employment, breach of contract, corporate dissolutions, real estate, professional liability, insurance coverage, construction, trade secret, premises liability, banking, and business torts. She now devotes her practice to mediation.
Heather arrives to each mediation prepared and focused. Using active listening and probing questions, Heather works to assess and master the facts and law of the case. Importantly, Heather also recognizes the importance of the individual people who are involved and how their personalities, emotions, and interests affect the ability to settle the dispute. Using this information, she then guides the parties and their attorneys through the conflict to try to reach resolution.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- 2021 – AA White Dispute Resolution Center – Family Mediation Certification – 36-hour Certificate
- 2019 – Harvard Law School’s Program on Negotiation, “Advanced Mediator Training: Mediating Complex Disputes” 2010 – Manousso Mediation Training and ADR Services – Basic Mediation 40-hour Certificate
- 1998 – University of Texas School of Law, J.D. with honors
- Studied and/or taught over 100 hours of Continuing Legal Education in the field of Mediation
- Houston Bar Association, Chair of ADR Section 2021-2022
- Association of Attorney Mediators, President of the Houston Division
- Texas Mediator Credentialing Association, Credentialed Distinguished Mediator
- Texas Bar Association, ADR and Family Law Section Member
- American Bar Association, ADR Section Member